All examples use commercially available components. Depending on budget, you can choose to start one of these projects that falling in several hundred dollars. Using plug-and-play methods, these projects can be done at home by beginners with a minimum level of knowledge in programming and electronics.
HobbyKing KK2 ($30). basic quadcopter flight, acrobatic and stabilized modes.
Comprehensive guide with simple quadcopter intended to be built by beginners with electronic skills.
With skills like basic soldering and electronic knowledge, Chris Schroeder demonstrate you step by step how to build from scratch a quadcopter. The guide is intended for beginners users with plug-and-play construction and simple programming code.
All components are purchased from Internet while for programming was used a flight control board and programming card where values were sets for the brushless Electronic Speed Controller (ESC).
Below is an impressive list with parts needed to build the quadcopter, but without extra staff needed included.
- Frame: Turnigy Talon Carbon Fiber Quadcopter Frame;
- Motors: Turnigy L2210A-1650 Brushless Motor;
- Electronic Speed Controllers: 25amp Speed Controller;
- Flight Controller: Hobbyking KK2.0 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board;
- Propellers: 10×4.5 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 pc RH Rotation (Black);
- Transmitter/Receiver: Turnigy 6X FHSS 2.4ghz Transmitter and Reciever (Mode 1);
- Programming: BESC Programming Card;
- Straps: VELCRO U.S.A. INC 3/4-Inch 12-Feet;
- Power Distribution Board: Hobby King Quadcopter Power Distribution Board;
- Bullet Connectors: 3.5mm Bullet Connectors – 10 Pairs;
- Wire: Wire 16AWG (1mtr);
- Servo Leads: Male to Male Servo Lead;
- Battery: 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack;
Simple guide that teach you how to build a simple, cheap and speedy quadcopter.
Basic QuadCopter is another guide for beginners aiming to learn how to build a simple and cheap quadcopter. These flying robots can be designed with short arms or with longer arms for propellers protection.
Build instructions from this guide are available for the case when you build a quadcopter X style. With few changes all these instructions can be used for building a quadcopter + style.
- Frame: aluminum tubing, 4 x 265 mm lengths;
- Main shaft: Align T-REX 450;
- Motors: KDA 20-22L 924KV;
- Electronic Speed Controllers: SS Series 18-20A ESC;
- Propellers: APC 10×4.7SFP;
- Transmitter/Receiver: Spektrum AR5200;
- Battery: 25C 2200mAh;
Based on DIY method of building, this guide teach you how to build a simple, robust, and very cheap quadcopter.
Building the quadcopter described in this tutorials could be a good exercise to test your hardware and software skills. As well as other projects presented in this article, this quadcopter is inexpensive even is built from durable materials and uses a powerful atmega328 microcontroller.
Very well documented, in this guide you can find proper information to assemble the frame, attach the motors, add the propellers, add the battery, controller and wiring all components.
In the following we make a list with main components of the project and add the source from where you can purchase these.
- Frame: F330 Glass Fiber Mini Quadcopter Frame 330mm;
- Motors: Aerodrive SK3 – 2826-1130kv;
- Electronic Speed Controllers: Multistar 15 Amp Multi-rotor Brushless ESC 2-3S;
- Flight Controller: MultiWii 328P Flight Controller w/FTDI & DSM2 Port;
- Propellers: 8045 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 pc RH Rotation;
- Transmitter/Receiver: XBee Wireless Series 1 Starter Kit;
- Sensor: Triple Axis Accelerometer&Gyro Breakout MPU-6050;
- Power distribution board: Hobby King Quadcopter Power Distribution Boar;
- Battery: ZIPPY Compact 1800mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack;